missing maple


There are few things that make me nationalistic. I spend much time deconstructing the concept of nationalism and am greatly interested in its roots. My personal identity I try to keep separate from the identity of my country. I do not sew a Canadian flag on my backpack and I do not feel patriotic towards the red and white maple leaf flag. However, I do feel patriotic towards maple syrup. Other than my family and friends - of course - it is one of the few things I miss about Canada.

Maple syrup and I have bonded over the years - over pancakes, drizzled on Greek yogurt, over marinades and in cakes. My aunt is coming to visit me next week and when asked if there was anything I would like from home my answer was obvious: a big bottle of maple syrup.

Granola made with maple syrup is one of my breakfast favourites. However, maple syrup priced in Swedish Kronor is something that I cannot afford. But, with a big bottle from Canada things are looking up.Granola can be approached from dozens of recipes with dozens of ingredients. A lot of granola is made with butter or a neutral oil, but I usually skip both and just use maple syrup.



Orange-Maple Granola

Ingredients

rolled oats, 2-4 cups depending on how big the batch
zest of 1-2 organic oranges
ground cinnamon
ground nutmeg
maple syrup (or honey), 1/4 - 1 cup
dash of sea salt
your choice of nuts (almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds)
your choice of dried fruit (cranberries, apricots, raisins)

Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Mix rolled oats with salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add maple syrup and orange zest. Stir to coat evenly. If you wish, add nuts now. I often add them after. Place oats on a cookie-sheet lined with baking paper, or in a large baking pan. Bake for 30 - 40 minutes, or until brown. Stir occasionally while baking. Once crispy and brown, remove from pan and mix with dried fruit (and nuts, if you have decided to skip toasting them). Let cool and then store in an air-tight container.

Guten!

Shirin  – (November 11, 2010 at 10:16 AM)  

patriotic towards maple syrup... I love that.

I never thought of making granola without the oil! as much I think maple and butter are beautiful lovers, I am eager to give this a try.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP