long breakfasts






Winter encourages me to have long breakfasts. The snow looks at me from outside of my window and says, "Aren't I pretty? Aren't I even prettier when you are warm, drinking coffee, and looking out the window." As much as I enjoy the crunching sound that snow makes under my feet and long days of skiing, I equally enjoy long, warm breakfasts inside in the middle of winter.

I grew up with pancakes on weekends in winter. During warm months I would beg my mom for smoothies and fruit, but come winter I only had pancakes on my mind. To go with the pancakes, my mom would often throw some butter, apples, cinnamon and raisins in a pan to make a warm topping. I have adopted this idea and over the years it has changed. A current favourite uses dried cranberries instead of raisins, maple syrup and a splash of rum. However, such a topping is not necessary when you have real maple syrup, or some whipping cream and fresh berries.

Everyone should have the perfect pancake recipe. Pancake enthusiasts should have said recipe memorized (make it twice and it will stick to your brain). When extra hungry or serving more than two, double the recipe (which I often do even just for two).


Cinnamon Walnut Pancakes

3/4 cup flour
1 1/2 tbsp. unrefined sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
a pinch of sea salt
a bit more than 1/2 cup buttermilk
(or add 1/2 tbsp lemon juice to 1/2 cup milk and let sit five minutes)
1 organic egg
1 tbsp. melted butter, or coconut oil
a handful of walnuts
1/2 - 1 tsp. cinnamon

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, sea salt and cinnamon. In another bowl combine egg, buttermilk and butter or coconut oil and then pour into flour mixture. Stir until smooth, then add a handful of chopped walnuts (bananas are excellent mixed with the walnuts as well). Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add a splash of oil or butter. Scoop the batter into the pan and cook until each side browns slightly. Serve with real maple syrup, or whipped cream and fresh berries, or apples sauteed with dried cranberries, maple syrup and cinnamon.

Guten!


Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP