more ginger please




Ginger must be magical. From carrot soups to lemonade and from rice to baked apples, ginger tastes good with everything. Plus, it helps me fight off the flu. Yes, it must be magical indeed.

I don't make muffins often. It might have something to do with the tiny muffin pan I have in Sweden, or that I am afraid of foods that pretend to be breakfast, but taste more like cake. However, when I was in Munich in January I was reunited with my muffin tin, a real muffin tin with room for twelve muffins. After having feasted in Israel's restaurants and then in the kitchens of family in Saarland, I was homesick for cooking and baking. When I found myself back in Munich, and back with my muffin tin, I knew that baking muffins had to be. Plus, it was a chance to consume more ginger in more ways, something that I am always game for.


Pear and Ginger Muffins

inspired by the NY Times

1 3/4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/4 cups unrefined sugar
a tiny pinch of salt
2tbsp. brown sugar
2-3 tbsp. fresh ginger, minced, or 1 tsp. ground ginger
2/3 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
1/2 cup butter, vegetable oil, or coconut oil
1 tbsp. honey
2 large eggs
2 pears, peeled and finely diced
zest of one organic lemon, optional

Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Grease or line a muffin pan. In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. In another bowl, mix together sour cream/yogurt, melted butter/coconut oil or vegetable oil, honey and eggs. Once mixed, add fresh ginger and lemon zest. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold gently until just mixed. Add pears and fold again. Divide batter amongst muffin cups. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake for 20 minutes, or until risen and firm. Transfer to a rack to cool. Serve, ideally, while still warm.

Makes 12 large muffins


Guten!


Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP