oh! the food you'll eat!


In North America important life steps are often marked by 'Oh! The Places You'll Go' by Dr. Seuss. Graduations, in particular, are celebrated with this classic picture book and poem, surely enough inspiration to get one excited about packing for all the places they'll go and all journeys they'll take. I, however, am not only inspired by the places I'll go, but also by the food I'll eat.

As much as I make sense of life through making lists, I have never been one to transform a whole year into a list. A trip, perhaps, but never a year. But because of my obsession with lists, each year I look forward to newspaper and magazine lists featuring major books, events, films, and discoveries of the year past. Taking their cue, I'll end one year and begin another with a list of recent food joys in Israel.

A week is certainly not enough time to eat one's way through a country's food culture. However if a week is enough to satisfy my colour cravings then it was also enough time to give me new food cravings. Below are a few of them.


  • Israeli Wine
  • Sahlab - a creamy, hot drink (pictured) topped with pecans, cinnamon, pistachios, shredded coconut and such.
  • Eggplant - to eat always and often. Why don't I eat eggplant more? Thank you Tel Aviv for introducing me to baked eggplant topped with sliced almonds, tahini, roasted red peppers, sesame seeds and honey.
  • Wine Bars in Tel Aviv - Spicy calamari, grilled and served on tahini with roasted cherry tomatoes, good olive oil, fresh sage and salt and pepper. We also ate grilled shrimp tossed with good olive oil, tomatoes, garlic and parsley. And, avocado, fennel and orange salad on iceberg lettuce.
  • Good Olive Oil
  • Shakshuka - eggs poached in stewed tomatoes. Plus, feta cheese and eggplant? Yes, please.
  • Fresh Pomegrante Juice

Leanne  – (January 11, 2011 at 11:30 PM)  

Oh, the memories! Sachlab is one of Israel's simple winter joys...I have a killer recipe if you want it : )

Sasha  – (January 12, 2011 at 12:25 PM)  

that would be lovely, yes please!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP