citrus for winter


Despite their common association with warm climates and sunny days, I crave citrus fruits most come winter. Winter is when I become serious about citrus. It is when I fill my book bag with clementines and when I drink hot water with fresh lemon juice and ginger. It is when I grate lemons for lemon curd and when I peel grapefruits for salads.

This roasted fennel and grapefruit salad satisfies two of my winter cravings. It includes both something warm, the roasted fennel, and something refreshing, the grapefruit. If you are lucky enough to have some ripe, hass avocados (oh, I do love you Scandinavia, but you just aren't the place for avocados), add them as well.

Roasted Fennel and Grapefruit Salad

Ingredients

1 head fennel
1 grapefruit
extra virgin olive oil
balsamic vinegar
coarse salt
freshly ground pepper
honey
a splash or fresh lemon juice
fresh cilantro or mint for garnish

Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Remove the green parts of the fennel and slice into medium sized slices. Toss with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and coarse salt. Place on a roasting pan and cook until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, peel the grapefruit. If necessary cut; however, the pieces should be on the larger side. Whisk together olive oil, salt, pepper, honey, and a splash of fresh lemon juice. Once the fennel is cooked, let cool slightly. Toss the roasted fennel with the grapefruit and arrange on a plate. Add dressing. Garnish with fresh cilantro or mint.

Guten!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP