more citrus for winter




I am starting to realize that lemons are probably the single food I buy most of. No, I do not peel them and eat them; and, no I am not crazy about things that taste sour. However, most foods I make somehow include lemons. I had fresh lemon juice in my tea this morning. I put lemon zest in my pasta sauce this evening. I add it to pizza crusts and to cookies. I add its juice to salads and its zest to salmons. I put it in cakes and I eat it in vegetable tarts.

Needless to say, this love for lemons also means a love for lemon curd. Lemon curd, like ketchup, is something that I have always bought. A trip to London in the spring ended with me stocking up on lemon curd at Marks & Spencer to bring back to Canada. If I had had this recipe then, I would have brought home-made lemon curd from Canada instead.


Lemon Curd

from Nigel Slater's column for the Observer

Ingredients

zest and juice of 4 organic lemons (they must be unwaxed)
1 cup/200g. sugar
100g. unsalted butter
3 eggs
1 egg yolk

Cut butter into small cubes. Mix butter with lemon zest, lemon juice and sugar in a heatproof bowl or small pot set over a larger pot with simmering water. Stir occasionally until the butter has melted. In a bowl, mix together the eggs and egg yolk lightly with a fork. Add eggs to the lemon mixture. Let the curd cook while stirring regularly. Stir with a wooden spoon or a whisk. Don't let the curd overheat as this will cook the eggs. Once the curd coats the back of a wooden spoon or feels heavy on a whisk, remove from heat. As it cools, stir occasionally. The curd will thicken as it cools. Pour into two small jars and seal. Store in the refrigerator for a few weeks.

Guten!


Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP