eggs for easter










Growing up in Canada, I never took Easter very seriously as a cultural or a religious holiday. I took it seriously as a chocolate holiday. To me Easter meant chocolate and it still means chocolate. The only eggs I remember consuming en masse over the Easter weekend were chocolate eggs (preferably Cadbury mini eggs or Laura Secord large chocolate eggs with a sweet and creamy filling). As a child I hunted for them behind couches and underneath tables. As I grew up, I learned to wait for after Easter when all the chocolate goes on sale.

Sweden reminded me that Easter is not a chocolate holiday everywhere. Although the stores still have chocolate eggs, there is more emphasis on the non-chocolate type of eggs: chicken eggs. Being a lover of eggs, to this I have no objection. So to my annual tradition of eating chocolate over the Easter weekend, I have added eggs (the non-chocolate ones) as well.

Baked Eggs with Asparagus

adapted from Beatrice Peltre's recipe for the Boston Globe

Ingredients

fresh asparagus (preferably local and not the stuff grown in Peru), rough ends peeled off and cut into chunks
creme fraiche
organic eggs
ground cumin
freshly grated Pecorino Romano
a handful of mixed greens, roughly chopped
sea salt
freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Bring water to boil in a tea kettle. In a saucepan, bring salted water to a boil. Cook the asparagus for 1-2 minutes (depending on thickness). Drain and stop the cooking process by running the asparagus under cold water.

Set out as many ramekins/small baking dishes as eggs you wish to cook. Add a dollop of creme fraiche to each one. Then add the mixed greens, asparagus and cumin. Gently break an egg into each dish and season with sea salt, pepper and Pecorino Romano. Set the ramekins into a larger roasting pan and pour the boiling water around the sides so that the water comes halfway up the dishes. Bake until the whites are just firm to touch, about 12 minutes.

Guten!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP