homemade


Even a short vacation makes me miss my kitchen. Okay, maybe not my kitchen per say. I don't want to sound too attached to/too domestic about my kitchen. I have had many kitchens and I am not picky about where I cook as long as there is a fresh herb plant or two and some good sea salt.

Scotland fed me some delicious meals, but the guesthouse where I stayed served a breakfast that was less delicious. The eggs were somewhere between poached and fried and I am certain that they were made in a microwave. Instead of fresh fruit, there was jam pretending to be yogurt. The coffee machine seemed to use the same off-grey liquid for both coffee and milk. As you know, I am a breakfast baby. My babchai taught me that it is for breakfast that one should wake up in the morning and I have taken this advice very seriously.

The past few days in Gothenburg I have been making up for a week of microwave eggs. I have been making pear and blueberry smoothies with almond butter, boiled eggs with lemon-chive dipping salt, and baked oatmeal.

Baked oatmeal is a nice change from oatmeal made on the stove-top. It is less mushy and the texture is slightly different. Like stove-top oatmeal, you can add any fruit or nuts you have in your kitchen. This recipe is for one. If you wish to double or triple it, you can add a lightly beaten egg to the oat mixture before baking.

Baked Oatmeal for One

Ingredients

1/2 cup rolled oats
pinch of sea salt
ground cinnamon
ground ginger
3/4 cup milk (dairy, soy or almond)
1 tbsp maple syrup
vanilla extract
almonds, slivered
dried cranberries (non-sweetened)
half a pear, cut into small pieces/matchsticks

a smudge of butter or coconut oil

Heat oven to 350F/180C. Grease a small ramekin with either butter or coconut oil. Mix all ingredients in a bowl and then spoon into ramekin. Bake for 30 minutes. Serve with more milk if you wish.

Guten!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP