spring cravings





Sometimes simple is best. Now that the soil is fertile again in Europe my food cravings have shifted. I want vegetables. Simple vegetables. And lots of them. As much as I try (or aspire) to eat local, I have one addiction that Sweden (or anywhere I have lived thus far, for that matter) cannot satisfy: avocados. Although avocados are technically fruit, I am in the habit of considering them one with sweet potatoes, spinach, beets and other favourite vegetables. Plus, I am not too hung-up about labels.

In high school I used to eat avocados like apples. No, I did not peel them and bite around the pit. However, I did pack them on their own as a snack. No dressing, no seasoning, just avocados: I like them that much.

I admit that now I rarely eat a naked avocado. Lemon juice, sea salt, pepper and chili often accompany my avocados. And, as of late, I have discovered that they are just as versatile as they are delicious. Today I made an avocado and apple smoothie. The most recent Jamie Oliver magazine uses avocado to partially replace butter (read: less butter) in a recipe for ginger-spiced oatmeal cookies. My New Roots taught me that avocados can also be transformed into chocolate mousse. This little green fruit is a master of disguise.

But when not being used as a cooking fat or as dessert, avocados are still delicious simply on their own. One of my favourite ways to eat them is pureed on toast. This recipe is almost too simple to really count as a recipe; but, because this is the perfect breakfast or snack, it is still worth writing.




Avocado on Toast

Ingredients

1 ripe haas avocado
1 clove of garlic, peeled and cut in half
a splash of lemon juice
good extra virgin olive oil
sea salt
black pepper
red pepper flakes

good bread, toasted (sourdough is excellent, so is bread with sun-dried tomatoes and olives, as pictured,)

Mash the avocado flesh in a bowl roughly with a fork. Add a splash of lemon juice and some sea salt. Rub the toasted bread with the cut side of the garlic. Spread the avocado on the toast. Sprinkle red pepper flakes on top and season with black pepper and coarse sea salt. Drizzle toast with olive oil.

Guten!


Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP