tis the season


By season I mean asparagus season of course. After blood orange season, I think that it is my favourite. With only about two months of prime growing time (note: I am not talking about the stuff from Peru that is sold year round for a premium at grocery stores), it means that I am taking advantage of it while I can. To say that I can (and sometimes do) eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner is not an exaggeration. Roasted asparagus with a poached egg for breakfast. Peeled asparagus with arugula and pecans for lunch and then for dinner I eat it in risotto or in pasta or with prosciutto. What a season asparagus season is!

Because I believe in the power of breakfast, I have been favouring roasted asparagus as of late. Plus, I never turn down the opportunity to poach an egg. Omit the egg if you want to serve it as a side for dinner. Or, add another egg if you want a bigger breakfast. This recipe serves one. Double or triple it if need be.

Roasted Asparagus with a Poached Egg

Ingredients

4 stalks of asparagus
a drizzle of olive oil
a handful of roughly chopped almonds
sea salt
grated parmigiano reggiano or pecorino romano
the zest of half a lemon, plus a squeeze of its juice
pepper


1 organic egg
white vinegar, optional

Preheat oven to 350C/180F. Wash asparagus well and chop off the ends. Place in a baking dish and drizzle with olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice. Add the salt, chopped almonds and grated cheese. Bake for about 5-7 minutes until the asparagus is cooked, but still slightly firm and the cheese has melted. Remove from the oven and add the lemon zest.

While the asparagus is baking, bring a small saucepan of water to boil. Once the water reaches a boil, add a splash of white vinegar if you wish. Add the egg and stir the water with a spoon so that the white part of the egg gathers above the yolk. Cook for three minutes and then remove with a slotted spoon.


Serve the poached egg on top of the asparagus. Season with salt and pepper plus an extra serving of grated cheese.


Guten!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP