dreamy figs


When I was younger one of my aunts told me that if she were rich she would want a house full of fresh flowers. Well, if I were rich I would want a house full of fresh figs. There would a bowl of figs on my coffee table and another one next to my bed. There would be baskets of them in the kitchen and, perhaps, also in the hallway. I would live in a house of figs.

But I am not rich which means that fresh figs are closer to a luxury than they are to an everyday staple. I simply cannot afford them as an everyday luxury. Fortunately, dried figs are the next best thing and, even more fortunate, there is a good supply of them in my apartment. My roommate's grandmother lives in Bosnia where she has a backyard taken over by fig trees.. There are simply too many to eat fresh so she dries them out in the sun, packs them in paper bags, and sends them to Sweden. Considering my love for this fruit, the whole situation resembles a fairytale.

As if figs aren't dreamy enough, when they are soaked in rum, dipped in chocolate and sprinkled with fleur de sel they are even dreamier .


Chocolate Covered Rum-Soaked Dried Figs with Fleur de Sel

Ingredients

20 large dried figs
1 cup rum
250 grams baking chocolate
1/4 cup unsalted butter
fleur de sel

Put the figs in a bowl and cover them in rum. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the fridge. Let the figs soak overnight. The next day, drain the figs and pat them dry.

In a double boiler over medium heat melt the chocolate. Add the butter and stir until melted and smooth. One at a time, dip the figs in the chocolate until they are covered. Make sure that the bottom of the fig is completely covered. Sprinkle with fleur de sel and then place on a rack with a piece of baking paper below (to catch drips). Refrigerate before serving.

Guten!

Shirin  – (June 5, 2011 at 7:41 PM)  

oh sasha both this and your last post are so good ! I still remember those figs tasting juicier than I ever thought a dried fruit could. What an excellent way to jazz them up.

And the cake looks so pretty, I love the colors. You know i just bought a bunch of cashews to try out a similar recipe. We're on the same food-length... Which makes me all the more excited to see you this summer :)

Ali –   – (June 24, 2011 at 3:08 PM)  

Oh this is too much. Too, too tasty sounding!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP