relearning tastes


As long as I can remember I have hated mayonnaise. This distaste has translated into a grave suspicion for all recipes that list it as an ingredient. Egg salad and tuna fish sandwiches, creamy potato salad, coleslaw and all of those other North American childhood staples, I did not trust.

Okay, I am not being perfectly honest. My distrust of mayonnaise was less about the taste and more about the jar. I blame it on the super-size no-name jar of mayonnaise that you can always find at least one of in my father's fridge. This means that I can eat mayonnaise when it is carefully folded into something delicious and only subtly present to help the texture, but I cannot buy it. So I have simply learned to live without the recipes that list it as an ingredient.

But then I came across this recipe for a Russian egg and mushroom salad served on toasted rye bread. Mushrooms, yellow onion, dill, and Dijon: I had to have this sandwich. However, it lists mayonnaise as a rather important ingredient. Still being too stubborn/afraid to buy a jar of the stuff I decided to make it.

It was worth all of the whisking.

Homemade Mayonnaise

adapted from Molly Wizenberg's recipe for Bon Appetit, April 2008

Ingredients

1 large organic egg yolk
1 1/2 tsps fresh lemon juice
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt, plus more to taste
3/4 cup sunflower oil, divided into 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup

In a medium bowl whisk together the egg yolk, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard and 1/2 tsp salt. Combine well for about 30 seconds until blended and bright yellow. Measure 1/2 tsp oil and add to the mixture while whisking constantly. Continue to add a few drops at a time while whisking. This takes about four minutes. In a very thin stream, then gradually add the the rest of the oil. Whisk constantly until the mayonnaise is thick. It will be lighter in colour. Cover and chill in the refrigerator. It can be kept in the fridge for up to two days.

Guten!

Michelle  – (July 4, 2011 at 6:33 PM)  

I'm completely with you. Miracle whip? Gag-worthy. Just vile. I don't know if you were also subjected to the occasional mayonnaise-and-processed-cheddar sandwich (cold, not even melted), but those haunt me still. And yet--homemade mayonnaise! Such a completely different thing. It made me understand why the Dutch prefer it over ketchup with their fries.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP