a cake made from chocolate


While summer plays hard to get in Munich, I find myself flipping through the recipes I made weeks ago. I want to be craving raw vegetables and fresh fruit, but the rain and dark clouds have got me thinking about roasted vegetables and freshly baked cakes.

I especially have this cake on my mind. I baked if for my Birthday a while ago and it tasted incredibly rich and full of nostalgia. Growing up there were three almost back-to-back Birthdays in our house. This means that May is a month that I always associate with cake, candles, and birthday wishes the whole table round.

Once the sunlight returns to Munich and our balcony is freed from construction work I hope to write about summer salads, fresh dips for crostini, and avocado popsicles. However, for now I am steeping in nostalgic recipes from a season past.

Chocolate Fudge Cake

adapted from What Katie Ate

Ingredients

Cake:

1 1/4 cups cake flour, sifted
1 1/2 tsps baking powder
1/2 cup unrefined sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp ground vanilla bean
1 tbsp berry jam (i used cloudberry)
3 organic eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk

Icing:

170g good dark chocolate, at least 70%
1 1/4 cups unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups icing sugar, sifted
1/2 tsp ground vanilla bean

Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Grease a round cake tin (about 9" in diameter) and set aside. In a mixing bowl, combine the cocoa, sugar, flour, vanilla, melted butter and jam. Add eggs and milk and then mix until smooth. Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake for about 35 - 40 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. Remove cake from oven, let cool for ten minutes and then turn onto a wire rack. Once completely cooled, cut the cake horizontally into two layers.

While the cake is cooling make the icing. Beat together the butter and icing sugar in a bowl until creamy. Over a double broiler, melt the chocolate. Once melted, remove from heat and add the vanilla. Add the chocolate mixture to the butter and beat until smooth. Divide the icing into two.

Using a spatula, spread the icing between the two cake layers. Ice the rest of the cake with the remaining icing.


Guten!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP