the lunch diaries part I


I don't respect lunch very much. I barely treat it as its own meal. I use it either as an excuse to eat leftovers or as an opportunity to have a second breakfast. Case in point: last week after having muesli and fruit for breakfast, when lunchtime rolled around I decided to make wheat berries with sauteed pears, maple syrup and yogurt. As much as I want to think that breakfast passes as lunch, I know that I am just fooling myself. It is about time that I start accepting that lunch is a meal in its own right.

Part of the problem, I think, is that I have never been one for sandwiches. Yes, they are convenient. Yes, they are easy, but I find most sandwiches to be boring or sad. A sandwich does not have to have over-the-top ingredients to be delicious, but it does have to have some half-decent bread, fresh vegetables and it should be made with a little love. By a little love I mean good mustard with a kick, good seasoning and a little imagination.

Part of my goal to better appreciate lunch is fueled by the fact that I won't be a student forever. I can't always come home mid-day and treat myself to something fresh and, most often, baked. I need to be more practical. Read: I need to start making lunches that fit into a tote bag and travel easily on a bike. I need to start liking sandwiches.

This sandwich has got me reconsidering sandwiches in general. Although sandwiches don't really count as recipes, think of this as a formula, a formula for a sandwich delicious enough for people who don't like sandwiches. I first made it when I was still studying in Gothenburg. I brought it to school and ate it during a class meeting. One of my classmates looked at my sandwich and said: "I am sorry, but I have to ask you for some. It smells too good." I don't know him too well, but my sandwich and I felt very complemented.

If I am making this sandwich to bring on-the-go with me, I roast the zucchini and soak the sun-dried tomatoes the night before. I leave both in the fridge and then assemble everything in the morning.

Roasted Zucchini and Sun-dried Tomato Sandwich
a.k.a. a Sandwich for People who don't like Sandwiches

Ingredients

1 zucchini
1 clove of garlic
3-4 sun-dried tomatoes
two pieces of good bread, preferably sourdough or wholewheat
a squeeze of lemon juice
sea salt and pepper
good olive oil
creme fraiche, or cream cheese
arugula, optional

Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Cut the zucchini lengthwise and chop the garlic. Toss the zucchini with garlic, olive oil and sea salt. Place in a baking sheet and bake for about 20-25 minutes until tender and you can no longer stand that teasing smell coming from the oven. While the zucchini cooks, boil water in a kettle, place the sun-dried tomatoes in a bowl and cover with the boiling water. Drain the tomatoes once the zucchini is cooked.

Spread the creme fraiche on one of the piece of bread. Pile on the arugula, garlic-roasted zucchini and the plump sun-dried tomatoes. Top with a squeeze of lemon juice, a drizzle of olive oil, a generous amount of salt and pepper, and the second piece of bread.


Guten!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP