the lunch diaries part II




My attitude towards lunch is looking up. I am respecting lunch as a meal more and more which means that, as a result, my kitchen and I are giving my stomach something to look forward to by the time lunch break rolls around. And most of these lunch-time meals fit perfectly into a bike basket. Yes, lunch and I are doing much better.

My father does not eat lunch. Could it be that our eating habits are genetic? The advantage of not eating lunch is that instead of being huddled with a fork and tupperware in hand, my father spends his lunch breaks going on walks in summer and even ice skating in winter. The disadvantage is that as soon as he gets home from work he eats dinner. Seriously, dinner sometimes as early as 4:30? Considering that I rarely eat dinner before 8pm, I am sure that I have not inherited his eating habits. See, lunch is important. Without lunch, it is rather difficult to agree on a time to go out for dinner.

Itt is not so much that I don't eat lunch (I really can't go too many hours without eating and being one to constantly snack does not change that), it is more that I don't put much thought into it. Salads are ideal for lunches and they fit perfectly into a glass jar. Quinoa, some chickpeas, chopped vegetables and a simple salad dressing is my-go-to lunch. That said, I have eaten it so many times that I need to switch things up a bit and experiment. Sometimes it is nice to omit the grain and go just for the vegetables.

This salad is a classic with a twist. Nothing says summer quite like fresh basil, tomatoes that have been grown locally (and not shipped half-way across the world!) and some mozzarella. However, add a ripe nectarine or a peach and you have something that says summer in a more flirtatious way. Like most of my favourite things to eat, this is less of a recipe and more of a formula.

Nectarine and Tomato Salad

Ingredients

1 very ripe nectarine, or peach
1 medium sized tomato
a handful of fresh basil leaves
a few tears of mozzarella
a squeeze of lemon juice
a drizzle of good olive oil
sea salt
pepper

Cut the apricot and tomato into medium-sized cubes. Chop the basil roughly, or roll the leaves together and cut into ribbons. Toss everything together in a bowl and add a splash of balsamic vinegar if you wish. Serve at room temperature.

Guten!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP