the addictive breakfast



I made this breakfast - a fried egg with sage, chili and garlicky yogurt - for the first time last week. The next day I made it again. Then I made it two days later, and I'll probably make it again tomorrow. You should go make it now too, no matter the time of day.

This combination came together effortlessly. Last Sunday I made Molly Wizenberg's meatballs with pine nuts, cilantro and golden raisins. After one day of hot meatballs and another day of cold leftovers, I had some of the accompanying yogurt sauce left in my fridge. With no meatballs left, I remembered a recipe I had read in Skye Gyngell's My Favourite Ingredients - a fried egg with sage, chili and garlicky yogurt.
I already had the yogurt sauce in the fridge and a sage plant in the living room. She describes this combination as compulsive. My loyalty last week to these four flavours proves her right.

Skye's yogurt sauce has only yogurt, garlic, sea salt and olive oil. The leftover yogurt sauce for the meatballs had yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, cumin and salt and - with a splash of good olive oil - it has become the sauce that I eat compulsively. The yogurt sauce keeps for a few days in the fridge so you'll probably want to make more than you need just to make sure that you have an excuse to eat this a few days in a row.


Fried Egg with Sage, Chili and Garlicky Yogurt

adapted from Skye Gyngell's 'My Favourite Ingredients'

serves 2

Ingredients

1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 garlic clove, minced
sea salt
2 tbsp lemon juice
a dash of cumin
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

a small handful of fresh sage leaves
a very generous knob or two of butter
2 eggs
1/2 red chili, thinly sliced

In a bowl mix together the yogurt, garlic, sea salt, lemon juice, cumin and olive oil. Combine well and set aside so that the flavours mingle and develop.

Melt the butter in a frying pan on medium heat. Add the fresh sage leaves and cook until the leaves are crispy and the butter begins to brown. Remove the sage leaves from the pan and set aside. Crack the two eggs and add to the pan. Also add the sliced chili and cook until the egg whites are firm and the yolks and chili are soft. If there is enough butter in the pan, spoon the hot butter over the whites to flavour them and to help them cook faster.

To serve generously spoon the yogurt dip onto two plates. On each plate lay an egg on top of the yogurt, then scatter with the chili and crispy sage. Spoon any leftover butter from the pan on top and serve at once.


Guten!


skumkantarell  – (September 6, 2011 at 10:50 PM)  

This sounds soooo good! Wow! And so easy! ;) thumbs up!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP