mustard for bread


When I moved to Germany the first time some years ago I came across Feigensenf in the aisles of my local grocery story. Fig and mustard together? The sweetness of figs married to the spiciness of grainy mustard seeds? Brilliant, I thought. I immediately purchased a jar. This all happened at a time when my Berlin apartment was still without a fridge. It was early October. The air had cooled and instead of a fridge we had a plastic bag hanging off of our window sill. Clearly the plastic bag was a rather sad attempt to chill our groceries and space was quite limited. However, the fig mustard was our condiment prized enough to get a spot.

When I moved to Germany the second time this summer I immediately included fig mustard on my grocery list. I found it, but the brand was different. The figs were more subtle; it was not quite the same. A change of sheets of paper and fig mustard landed itself on my long list of things I would like to make (a different grocery list of sorts).

Last week the Bread Exchange came to Munich. It is such a simple and brilliant concept; Malin bakes bread - far too much for her to eat alone - and then trades it. Surely if I was better at baking bread I would want to steal the idea; I like it that much. I decided to trade fig mustard for bread and what a bread it was: sourdough with dried apricots made with beer! Even better, it was a tasty companion for fig mustard and some mixed greens.

I really like a grainy French style mustard and I like fig mustard even more. You'll want to make this while the weather is still good for grilling. Eat it with spicy beef or lamb sausages. Stir it into salad dressings. Dip roasted potatoes into it. Spread it on sandwiches and, perhaps my favourite, eat it to a grilled cheese sandwich. Mustard keeps for a while in the fridge; however, with the figs it will only keep for a few weeks. Don't worry though, you'll want to eat it often.

Fig Mustard

Ingredients

4 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
4 tbsp black mustard seeds
1 tbsp agave nectar or honey
pinch of sea salt
1/2 cup red wine vinegar, port wine, or water
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

1/4 cup fresh figs, mashed with a fork

Mix all of the ingredients except for the figs in a jar or a large container with a tight fitting lid (anything other than metal as metal will corrode). Shake well and then let soak for at least twelve hours and up to two days.

Blend the mixture with the figs in a blender until you reach your desired coarseness. Place in a jar or container and store in the fridge.


Guten!


Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP