a seedy snack



Somewhere between summer classes, rainy weather and cooking binges, I have tired myself out. Yesterday I slept until 4pm. 4 pm! Although I am a decadent sleeper, I outgrew such late lie-ins years ago. I guess that I really needed that sleep. By the time I got myself out of bed and had made a cup of coffee, I realized that breakfast at 5pm is just not right. Even though I am a firm believer in breakfasts and am loyal to restaurants that serve them all day, it felt too late to indulge in poached eggs or a fresh smoothie yesterday. Instead, I ate some zucchini bread and some fruit and then rushed out the door to the post office and grocery store while they were still open. I was just starting my day as businesses were ending theirs.

By the time my appetite and I got home, I was craving something filling, but light. I wanted a meal that went with the time of day and would not confuse my body any further. A recent episode of Spilled Milk described Jasmine rich with crunchy toasted seeds. Often when I hear or read about a recipe that sounds dangerously good (be it simple or complex), I think about it a lot. I keep thinking about it until I find the time and the ingredients to make it. This is what happened with this rice and seed dish. I had finally found pumpkin seeds that weren't priced like gold in Germany and I was ready to proceed. 




Basmati Rice with Toasted Seeds

serves one

Ingredients

1/2 cup (60 grams) brown basmati rice
a knob of butter
2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
2 tbsp sunflower seeds
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1 tbsp flax seeds
sea salt
a generous drizzle of sesame oil

Rinse the rice well. Put the rice and twice as much water in a saucepan. Add a pinch of salt and a knob of butter. Bring rice to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, for about 40-50 minutes.

When the rice is almost done, toast the seeds in a dry skillet over medium-low heat. Once the seeds are fragrant they are done. Remove from heat and salt them generously.

Mix together the rice and most of the seeds. Garnish with the rest of the seed mixture and then generously drizzle with sesame oil.


Guten!

nikole  – (August 12, 2011 at 8:41 PM)  

I was so happy to see that tea towel when I popped over to your blog! (thank you!) And thank you for your NYC recommendations too.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP