shrimp and cilantro


Another salad?

I was not joking around in my last post when I said that I have been craving and eating salad a lot and now that Oktoberfest has begun in Munich all of the roasted chickens makes me crave green foods even more. I am not even in India yet! Well, I am trying to prove Joni Mitchell wrong when she sings so perfectly that "you don't know what you've got till it's gone."

And this is a really good salad. Shrimp makes any salad taste luxurious. My favourite salad to eat with shrimp includes avocado and mango. However, to find all ingredients ripe and reasonably priced at the same time in Germany is sometimes a challenge (hello $3 plus avocados), but I do promise that I will share the recipe the next time all three ingredients align in my kitchen. For now, however, I am going to share a very simple shrimp salad. It is a good reminder that when you buy good shrimp you don't have to do much to them for them to be delicious.

This recipe is adapted from Mark Bittman's spicy shrimp salad with mint. As much as I love mint, I am too loyal to the combination of shrimp and cilantro to include it in this salad. I blame it on years of eating the two together in homemade Vietnamese summer rolls. Being stuck in your ways isn't always a bad thing - especially when it includes shrimp and cilantro. In this salad the cilantro is as much of an ingredient as it is a garnish so be generous with it.

Shrimp and Cilantro Salad

adapted from Mark Bittman's Spicy Shrimp Salad with Mint

serves two


Ingredients


6-8 large shrimp (my shrimp were already cooked)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small garlic clove, minced
sea salt
pepper
a good pinch of red chili flakes or freshly chopped chili
1/4 tsp paprika
1 bunch of arugula
1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
the juice of half a lime

In a bowl toss together the shrimp, olive oil, minced garlic, salt, pepper, chili and paprika. Heat a frying pan over high heat and add the shrimp and the marinade once the pan is hot. Cook until the shrimp is firm, about 2 minutes.

On two plates arrange the arugula and half of the cilantro. Add the shrimp, the pan juices, and freshly squeezed lime juice. Garnish with the rest of the cilantro and season with salt and pepper if necessary. Serve right away.


Guten!


amy  – (September 22, 2011 at 1:31 AM)  

oh
my.

I want to give this recipe to my mother, and say, Mama, here's a true salad. This looks delicious. x

hugs (^.^) hope to hear from you *
amyflyingakite.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP