fruit that likes bread and cheese


Remember when I admitted that I find a lot of sandwiches boring and sad and so I made a roasted zucchini and sun-dried tomato sandwich to prove that sandwiches can also be inspiring and lively? Well I wasn't telling the whole truth. I find a lot of vegetable sandwiches boring and sad, but not fruit sandwiches.

(Sorry tomatoes. I know that you are a fruit, but you just don't count. I like you in salads and with pasta, but in a sandwich you should only be fresher than fresh and, let's be honest, you don't taste as good when you are being imported. That said, I look forward to next tomato/BLT season.)

Now back to the real fruit. I have never gotten over the brilliance of cheddar cheese and apples. I continue to frequently eat it as a snack even though I am 25 and not 5 and it really inspired me to start respecting sandwiches. After all, it is much more acceptable to bring an apple and cheddar sandwich to work than it is to bring slices of apple and pieces of cheese cut into bite-size squares. Trust me, I have tried both and the former often comes with stares that accuse you of being a 5 year old.

When I moved to France and learned that Paul sells a sandwich that is composed of only two pieces of perfect, French bread, brie and green apple, I knew that I was doing something right. These are some of my favourite fruit and cheese pairings for sandwich. Ideally use good bread. A little green does not interrupt the love affair between the fruit, cheese and bread so add some as you like. Same goes with spices, herbs and condiments.


Good Cheese and Fruit Pairings for Sandwiches

goat cheese, fresh figs and balsamic reduction

blue cheese, green apple and black pepper

cheddar cheese, apple and caramelized onions (this will forever change what you think and expect of a grilled cheese sandwich)

pecorino romano, pear and slivered almonds

Malin's apricot and beer bread with roquefort (yes this is is just bread with cheese; however, the apricots and the roquefort are made for each other. Also, living in Copenhagen taught me that bread with something on it counts as a sandwich.)


Also, my friend Sarah taught me that grapes are surprisingly nice on pizza. She inspired me to discover that they are nice in sandwiches too. I guess that this is not too surprising considering that grapes often play a supporting role on cheese plates. If they are good with cheese then it makes sense that they are the type of fruit that likes cheese and bread all in one bite. I recommend making a grape sandwich with a soft cheese, like brie, and eating it on dark bread.

Luckily Mumbai knows how to make a sandwich. Chutney, beets, sauces, three layers of bread and potato? Oh yes, Mumbai knows how to make a sandwich that is not boring. More on that soon.

Guten!

leaf (the indolent cook)  – (November 19, 2011 at 1:57 PM)  

Beautiful sandwich ideas! I've got to try some of those combinations sometime.

Sandra  – (November 20, 2011 at 1:28 PM)  

I've never tried that!
Looks kind of weird but it must be delicious, I love cheese with everything haha

fifth floor apartment  – (November 20, 2011 at 6:11 PM)  

is there anything lovelier than fruit + cheese. i could it all day, every day :)

xo Alison

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP