hello winter, hello citrus



Hello Munich. You may be icy and you may require me to wear at least two pairs of socks; however, there is something to be said about how the snow falls on your buildings and trees and how it looks from my apartment.

In India I experienced a winter of sorts. I learned that Delhi's temperatures can drop to just above zero. I also learned that people in Delhi do not heat their homes. It really only gets cold at night and it really only gets cold for five weeks or so. Still, this knowledge had me composing romantic poems to indoor heating on my flight back to Munich. I knew that I was returning to freezing temperatures, but I also knew that I was returning to indoor heating.

Plus, winter means citrus season. Don't you just love nature? It surely gives us citrus as a way to brighten up winter.

After four months of eating food prepared by others, my kitchen and I are getting are groove back. I had some wonderful meals in India (which I plan to share in the coming weeks), but I also realized that I truly like cooking as much as I like eating. I am interested in processes. I like watching sage go from soft to crispy as it cooks in butter. I like kneading dough and then seeing it rise. I like filling the kettle with water and then hearing its whistle. I like peeling oranges and then licking the juice off my fingers.

Like a lot of the food I write about, this is less of a recipe and more of a formula. Blood oranges with honey and pistachios. The name alone tells you what to do. There are minor processes involved, but this is almost as simple as delicious gets. Plus, the processes entail licking juice off or your fingers, or snacking on pistachios while you chop. Make as much or as little as you want. Just make sure you use at least two oranges. One is just not enough. Also, the blood orange season is short so take full advantage while you can.

This makes a nice snack or dessert.

Blood Oranges with Honey and Pistachios

Ingredients

2 blood oranges
a handful of pistachios
honey, to taste

Heat the oven to 180C/350F/gas 4. Roughly chop the pistachios and place them in a small baking dish. Roast the pistachios for about 10 minutes.

While the pistachios roast, cut off the tops and ends of the oranges. Peel them and then cut them into thin slices. Arrange on a plate. Squeeze the peels of any remaining juice over the oranges.

In a small saucepan over medium heat, warm as much honey as you desire.

Assemble. Top the sliced oranges with the pistachios and then drizzle with warm honey.

Guten!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP