pancakes that are blue


There is just something about these pancakes.

Pancakes make a regular appearance on weekends around here. Hell, they even make a regular appearance on weekdays. I've told you about classic buttermilk pancakes with walnuts and cinnamon and I've told you about sweet potato coconut pancakes. You would think that two recipes for pancakes would be enough. But not so. 

I had never actually had blue corn pancakes before Saturday morning, but then I had them again Sunday morning. I'm thinking about making them again tomorrow. In fact, I had never actually known that such a thing existed until I stumbled upon a post on L.A. in Bloom last week. I had one of those moments where you blank out because you get so lost in a series of thoughts about food that you forget that you are actually looking at a computer screen. Yeah, I get lost on the internet a lot.

When I read about blue corn pancakes I checked out Heather's recommendation for Santa Fe Culinaria. I then thought about ordering the mix to Germany. Obsessive? Perhaps. Okay, a lot. So I had to start reasoning with myself. I'll be in Texas in December and surely I'll be able to pick up some blue cornmeal there, I said to myself. After all, I had never actually had blue corn pancakes before so I was sheltered by my own inexperience. I surely did not know what I was missing (if anything) so I could certainly wait until December. A few days later I was scanning the shelves at Munich's Mexican grocery store. I am pretty well acquainted with those shelves. I know where to find the dried chiles. I know what days they sell fresh tortillas and I know where to find the Mexican beer. What I did not know is that they have started selling blue cornmeal. 

And was I ever missing out. The day after I brought a whole kilo of blue cornmeal home I made these pancakes. We ate them with juicy Pakistani mangoes and maple syrup. They tasted blue. They tasted better than I knew corn or blue or pancakes could taste. My partner doesn't get nearly as excited about food as I do. He enjoys it. He just would never look like he was a child experiencing Christmas for the first time just from seeing a bag of blue cornmeal. However, that spark came out when he was eating these. "They taste blue," he said. "Wow," he said, "these are special pancakes." And we eat a lot of pancakes around here, like I said, so that must give us some kind of authority to tell you to go make these now. Eat them with mango or a really ripe peach. Who cares if it is dinner time? 


Blue Corn Pancakes


serves 2-3

ingredients

3/4 cup blue cornmeal
1 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup milk, plus 1-3 tbsp as needed
1 organic egg, beaten
2 tbsp butter, melted
3/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder

butter or oil for greasing the pan

Mix together the blue cornmeal, salt and sugar in a medium bowl. Stir in the boiling water and mix until all of the ingredients are wet. Cover the bowl and let it sit for a few minutes.

In a smaller bowl mix together the milk, egg and melted butter and then add the milk mixture to the corn mixture.

Combine the baking powder and all purpose flour and then add to the corn mixture. Stir everything together until just combined. If the batter is quite stiff then add more milk 1 tbsp at a time. The batter should flow off a spoon both thickly and smoothly. 

Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Grease the pan with butter or oil. Spoon the batter into the pan - about 2 tbsp per pancake - and flip once the pancakes are covered in bubbles and then continue to cook them until golden.

Serve immediately with maple syrup and fresh mango or fresh peach. 

Guten!

Shirin  – (September 11, 2012 at 8:54 AM)  

as if I wasn't already convinced I should come visit this weekend...

Sasha  – (September 12, 2012 at 6:46 PM)  

Shirin, I can't wait to hang out and eat blue corn pancakes this weekend! xox

Kimberley  – (September 13, 2012 at 2:54 AM)  

Um, these are awesome! I believe that I may have, once upon a time, eaten a blue pancake. But it is a vague memory, and one that needs refreshing.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP