bananas that fancy almonds pulp


I am in Venice. The water gently flirts with us tourists as we walk by canals and over bridges. And each bridge reveals a sublime view. I have a list of markets to explore and regional dishes to eat, but first I want to tell you about some muffins. Chocolate Banana Muffins. Sometimes classic flavour combinations just can't be beat.

My nut milk bag, blender and I spend a lot of time together (I even brought my nut milk bag along to Venice with hopes of spending time with it here). This means that most days I drink homemade almond milk. Yes, I totally spoil myself. However, raw almonds are unbelievably cheap in Germany. I'm not sure why considering that in Canada they seem to be one of the priciest nuts around, but why question a good thing? This almond milk making habit of mine also means that most days my freezer is stocked with almond pulp.

Because bananas like nuts, it just made sense to start putting that almond pulp to work by adding it to banana bread or banana muffins. The fact that almond pulp and bananas get along so well also finally gave my freezer some much needed space back. 

I've been making chocolate banana muffins quite often as of late and this is the version that I like best. These muffins are sweetened with maple syrup and all the better because of it. For the cup of flour use any flour that you fancy. I usually opt for white spelt, or just all purpose. I've made these before using all almond pulp and no flour and although they still tasted like the holy trinity of banana, chocolate and maple syrup, their crumbly texture left something to be desired. I've used both cacao nibs and chocolate chips and I can't decide which one I like better so I just go with what my pantry has most of. That seems to be the main theme of this recipe - taking advantage of a freezer full of very ripe bananas and almond pulp and whatever chocolate the pantry has to offer.

Chocolate Banana Muffins

makes 12 muffins

ingredients

1 cup flour
1 cup almond pulp
3 tbsp melted coconut oil or butter, plus a smudge for greasing the muffin tin
1/4 cup maple syrup
pinch of salt
3 tsp baking powder
1 organic egg
3-4 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup chocolate chips or cacao nibs
1/4 cup almond milk

Preheat the oven to 400F / 200 C / gas mark 6.

In a mixing bowl combine the flour, almond pulp, salt and baking powder. Set aside.

Melt the butter or coconut oil. Let cool slightly and then combine in another mixing bowl with the egg, maple syrup, and almond milk. Add the mashed bananas and beat until combined.

Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients. Mix together swiftly until just combined and then fold in the chocolate chips or cacao nibs. The batter should still be lumpy and will be quite moist. If it feels too dry, add a tad more almond milk.


Grease a 12 cup muffin tin with butter or coconut oil, or line it with muffin cups. Spoon the batter into the muffin tin. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the centre of one of the muffins comes out clean, about 20-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest before taking the muffins out of the tin, about 5 minutes. Serve warm. And maybe even serve with a glass of almond milk. 


Guten!


Peachy Keen Mumma  – (March 31, 2015 at 4:34 AM)  

Thanks for this recipe. I gave it a go yesterday when I had 2 cups of almond pulp I didn't know what to do with. I didn't have enough bananas so I added some coconut sugar. I also added cinnamon and vanilla essence and coconut flour. My husband couldn't believe how moist they were, because they looked drier than other muffins. How delicious. Thank you! If I post this on my blog I'll give you a shout out!

Anonymous –   – (February 22, 2017 at 5:49 PM)  

I only used 2 bananas because that was all that I had. I added a pinch of cinnamon. And I used M&Ms instead of chocolate chips because I didn't have any. I baked it as a loaf of bread instead of individual muffins (325F for 60min). I loved it! This is a keeper recipe. They were the perfect amount of sweet. They were moist. And the banana didn't over power the recipe. I think I'll stick to only using 2 bananas. I will make the individual muffins next time.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP